Monday, July 6, 2009

"Victims" of the Recession

I keep hearing this term "vicitms" of the recession...this loss of work and money and security is indeed massive compared to the thigs we are used to...but does that really make us "vicitms"?
I gotta say, I am somewhat enjoying the benefits of a recession...
I have read so many blogs and facebook status, etc that say how much everyone is enjoying summer, relaxing with their family. I see pics of everyone having BBQs at home, playing in their own pool instead of the ocean. With everyone not having money to travle etc. the words relaxed and lazy and family keep coming up...I don't associate these words with victim.
As for us...techinically we are "victims" of this recession because Uciel got laid off, but I don't really feel like a vicitm. There are so many people worse off than even the worst in our country (on a side note I think some people in our country-specifically my generation and younger-NEED to struggle...they have no clue what it means to survive, without everything handed to you, as our parents and granparents had to do during war & depression).

I have a hard time feeling bad about not hitting the beach if I am happy to just have gas money to get to work and back; I can't get pitiful about being stuck at home if I am ecstatic to even have the TV working! I can't really complain about the fix-its needed in my house because, hey! I have a house!
I am going to stop using the term victim...
We, along with millions of others, are laboring through the recession.

No comments: