Friday, July 10, 2009

Rachel Ray I am NOT

I am not a good cook. There, I said it...it is out in the www for everyone to see.

Don't get me wrong, I feed my family, but I am not a good cook. I only cook a few times a week and it is always the same thing. I have about 5-6 meals that I can make with my eyes closed, one specialty that I can make for special occasions, but I really need help in this area. Recently a friend revived a recipe club on email, and Natali (see right) is always sharing recipes that sound (and look, when she posts them on her blog) wonderful, but I can't seem to get out of this culinary rut.
I think it started when I got pregnant. I had gotten into the habit of cooking almost every night, but when nausea hit I hated dealing with raw meat. I ended up losing the habit and now rely entirely too much on pre-made, boxed or drive-thru meals.
I have other obstacles: I HATE my kitchen--cooking in it ends up irritating me more than anything, my husband is even more picky than I am--he doesn't really like potatoes or pasta so sides are usually an issue, and healthy & tasty food is expensive--I have said for a long time, if they want to help the obesity problem in America they need to make healthy foods cheaper! I don't go out of my way to shop at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods and the healthy stuff @ regular stores tastes like dog food. I also hate that we don't have a table to sit at.
If anyone has suggestions or can empathize with this problem, let me know. If I am going to correct it, now is the time, while I am off work, before things get crazy next month.

1 comment:

Mama J said...

I have a ton of "easy" recipes that are super good if you ever want to try any!! I even have healthy ones! - haha!! Ooooo one of my healthy ones is soooooo good too! Anyhow, I've been told I'm a good cook (no, really! ha!) so if you'd like, I'll share my recipes with you! Or if you ever want to make a trip up the hill, we can have a cooking day!