Monday, August 4, 2008

Belated Sweet Sunday: Long Live Mashed Potato Kisses!

Any parent will understand...anyone with parents should remember: There is NO BETTER FEELING than when you are able to see or hear how much your child loves you.

Now, I am far from attached at the hip to my daughter, but I will admit it is hard to leave her for long periods. Case in point: going camping with friends overnight--the way we were kissin' on her when Grandpa picked her up, you would think we were going over seas for a week or more. So it is always nice to come back to her, but my heart absolutely melted when we got out of the truck and she came running [literally] arms open. For the rest of the day she was kissin on me like I was going overseas! I got kisses on my face, she would walk up and kiss my knee as I worked on the computer, I even got mashed potato kisses at dinner!

In the same way, I am not attached to my parents at the hip but I will gladly admit I still call her Mama and I still call him Daddy. When people make fun of me (and by People I mean my husband) for being so close to my parents, I will now just remember my mashed potato kisses.

If everyone had parents like mine, the problems of this earth would minimize by half. My husband should consider himself lucky if Isa feels close enough to him to call him Daddy when she is my age. I strive to raise my child half as well as I was raised and if you have parents even a little supposrtive of you, stop reading right now and tell them how much you love and appreciate them.
To my support group:

Mama--you are my best friend in the whole world...literally...and I could not live without your love support and advice.

Daddy--You are the rock of our family, a true shepard and awesome man.

I know I can count on you both for ANYTHING, I love you. If I had mashed potatoes I would take a bite just so I could kiss you!

Tracy & Greg--you are my second parents, I may have outgrown the need for a key to your house, but I will never outgrow the need for your loving honesty, listening skills and [mostly] unbiased opinion.

I am very blessed; now you look at your support group--who could use a little love from you today?

2 comments:

GG said...

It's nice to know all of that hard work, esp. the ages 13 to 14 part-paid off...

tbeberian said...

Sis - thank you for your sweet words. You seem to think that you got blessed - but I can tell you it really was the other way around. There are very few children (besides my own)- that I was able to watch grow and be a part of their lives. I am so thankful that your parents gave us the sweet priveledge to be a part of your life, love on you - let the cat chew on your neck...and watch you grow into the amazing young woman you have become - the blessing really came to us! You know my kids are crazy about you- and you are their big sis! I only hope my girls can be a part of Isa's life - the same way you have always been part of their lives!